Sunday, June 5, 2011

Meat Free Monday-Week 1

So after the recent publicised investigation of the inhumane treatment of cattle in Indonesia, I've heard that there has been a slight decrease in the meat consumption in the following week. If you haven't heard about it, please check this out.

Having been fully vegetarian for nine months, the thought, sight, and smell of meat makes me sick. Though I know for many, meat is still something that is eaten for convenience, habit, taste, tradition or whatever the reason.

However, my plan is to hopefully help people realise that eating less meat is not something that is hard, tasteless or strange. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Not to mention, the financial savings and the health benefits. As of this week I will be providing a daily meal plan that is completely meat (and dairy free). These will be some of my favourites that will have you kicking yourself that you hadn't tried it sooner!

So,
 
Meat Free Monday-Week 1:

Breakfast:

Oh my golly gosh, this breakfast I could just eat all day long. I always have something hot for breakfast. Definitely not a fan of cereal, or the big bowl of snot called 'porridge'. I always try to get as many veggies into my breakfast, just to be on the right track for the day, and just in case I miss out later in the day.

Ingredients:

Tempeh (Maybe a 5th of a block) I use the NutriSoy Tasty brand
Whole tomato
Baby spinach leaves (Out of the garden)
Cream cheese (I choose Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, as it's dairy free)
A slice of bread (We've been baking our own multigrain=awesome)

Method: 
  1. Cut the tempeh into thick cubes. Slice the tomato into thick slices.
  2. Cook in a fry pan over medium to high heat (if the pan is not non-stick, use a little oil).
  3. Add some of your favourite spices and sauces. I use sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil and salt and pepper. You could add garlic if you're game enough to breath that all over people all day ;).
  4. Toast the bread. Rinse the spinach leaves gently and throw into the pan. Take the pan off the heat so that the spinach just wilts a little.
  5. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese over the toast, whack all the other ingredients on top and then go to town on it!
 
Lunch:

I usually end up eating leftovers from the night before. Though there are many things you can have for lunch.

I love wraps with heaps of salad and a lentil pattie or veggie burger. You can make these yourself, or you can buy one of the million that are available at the supermarket. I also love toasted sandwiches! YUM! I put tomato, onion, avocado and Toffuti Cheese Slices. You can obviously use normal dairy cheese if you were just being meat free. You can also buy bacon and ham substitutes. Sanitarium make some great Deli Slices that you can buy from most supermarkets.



Dinner:

So I had looked at a recipe a while ago and hadn't had the time or inclination to actually make it. I now hate myself for not trying this earlier!!

It's Walnut and Edamame Ravioli and you can get the recipe here. Seriously. Go there now. Buy ingredients. Start cooking. Sooo yummy!

Even though this recipe is pure genius and just freaking delicious, I did make just a couple of adjustments to suit my liking:

  • I ended up doubling the recipe, so that it would feed my family (plus leftovers!).
  • I added the juice from about half a lemon.
  • I also had to put a little water in the mixture while I was blending it, as it seemed too dry.
  • I added some soy cream to the sauce, just because I wanted to:)
I also made a side dish of Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Macadamias. Though I swapped macadamias for cashews as they seem to have a stronger flavour.


The photo does not do it justice. Sooo YUM!

Snacks:

There are plenty of things you can snack on that do not contain a dead animal...

Some of my favourites are:
  • Cut up veggie sticks (carrot, celery, capsicum) with hummous.
  • Avocado on toast/crackers.
  • Cup of herbal tea, or tea with soy milk.
  • Nuts.
  • Homemade muesli bars.
  • Soy chips.
Now there is enough food ideas to get you through one whole day of cruelty free eating. Aside from helping animals, you are giving your tastebuds pure AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment